- Get information & advice on everything from health and crime prevention to foodbanks and gardening.
- Find out what’s going on in the voluntary sector & how to get involved.
- Leisure & voluntary opportunities – from bee surveys, skydiving fundraisers & ballet for the over 50s, to community DIY, volunteer driving & more.
- Optional activities such as craft, quizzes, tombola.
- Free tea & coffee.
- Entertainment such as a choir or ukulele band.
- These events are completely free.
Organìsations so far have included Kent Police, Bumblebee Conservation Trust, Victim Support, Open Gardens & In Bloom groups, Alzheimer’s Society, Kent Association for the Blind, Beanstalk reading helpers, Kent Scouts, Girlguiding, Brownies & Rainbows, Kent Sheds, Porchlight, Foodbanks, Citizens Advice, Age UK, Macmillan Cancer, arts projects and community cinema, HomeStart, children’s charities, Touchbase Care, East Kent Mencap, National Autistic Society and other disability charities, RSPCA & other animal charities, town teams, volunteer centres, Folk Clubs, community choirs such as Folkestone Singing for Health, chess clubs, Friends of The Earth, WI groups & Lions clubs, History & Heritage groups such as museums, Kent Family History & many, many more.
In 2017 and 2018 there were 12 fairs a year, one in each Kent County Council district.
The events bring together 30-50 charities, community groups & services plus some hobby/interest groups & the public.
Why have a stall?
Organisations have an exhibition stall each to:
- showcase what they do
- give out information & advice
- potentially find new helpers, service users & members
- thank their volunteers in our Thank You presentations
This SKC Fair project is called Best of Volunteering & is based at Thanet Volunteer Bureau
The Stronger Kent Community Fairs are part of a much larger offer of support to the voluntary sector in Kent called Stronger Kent Communities.
Thank you Sophia Moseley, Shutterhut Photography, who volunteered to photograph our Maidstone event. See the slideshow above.